To Scandia friends and neighbors:
As some of you may be aware, Scandia/Bone Lake has a Gravel Bed tree nursery. It is doing well, located just behind the fire station in Scandia. The trees in the gravel bed will develop much more extensive roots throughout the spring and summer and will be ready to go to homes or parks in August or September. Adequate watering is critical.
I will be checking the gravel bed often but would like volunteers to keep an eye on the nursery. I would like to request volunteers to be willing to sign up for a day of the week when you could spend a few minutes monitoring the nursery. This is a simple but very important task. Each person or organization who chooses to volunteer will be entitled to one of the available trees or shrubs when they are ready. I am not sure how often, but am hoping individuals or organizations might sign up for a specific day of the week and do it each week through the summer. Below are some what the volunteer would do.
- Verify that the gravel bed nursery is watered sufficiently. It is currently set to run each of two sprinklers for 45 minutes a day.
- Check the corners of the area and look to see if there are dry spots.
- Adjust sprinkler pattern if needed.
- Verify that the Automatic timer is set properly. It is currently scheduled to water early in the morning and around dusk.
- Note if there are indications of animal damage or vandalism.
- Report back to me if there are any issues that need to be addressed.
If you choose to volunteer, I will provide instructions and training. I will also allow each volunteer who commits to working through the summer to choose from the available trees if you wish.
Thank you, Tom Furey