City of Scandia, MN

To Obtain an Open Burn Permit for piled leaves or brush, or other vegetation complete the following steps:

  1. Fill out the Online Application, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. , except holidays or during times of Burning Restrictions.  Paper copies still available in the City Office.
  2. Print, or save to have available electronically at the burn site, the approved Open Burning Permit that will be emailed to you in reply.
  3. Call the Washington County Non-Emergency Number as the last step before lighting your fire, 651-439-9381.
A burning permit is required for open burning when there is less than three (3) inches of snow cover.   Permits are not required for recreational camp fires of 3 feet in diameter or less.

NEW - fill out the form below (click here to jump down) to received your Open Burn Permit via email, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. , except holidays or during times of Burning Restrictions.  Permits are also issued during regular business hours at both the City Office and at the Big Marine Lake Store - 19261 Manning Trl N, (651) 433-5043.

Any requests for daytime burning or running fire need a DNR approved variance, please contact the Cambridge DNR office at 763-284-7203, for assistance.

Fire conditions can change rapidly due to the weather.  For more  information and a map on current burning conditions, consult the MN DNR webpage on burning permits.

For more information, call the city office at 651-433-2274.

Burning of the following items is strictly prohibited:
  • Hazardous wastes
  • Industrial solid waste
  • Demolition debris of commercial or institutional structures. (A farm building is not a commercial structure.) Burning of any structure should be referred to a forest officer.
  • Salvage operations
  • Motor vehicles
  • Oils
  • Rubber
  • Plastics
  • Chemically-treated materials
  • Other materials which produce excessive, or noxious smoke, such as, but not limited to: tires, railroad ties, chemically-treated lumber, composite board, sheet rock, wiring, paint, or paint filters.
  • Garbage, defined as discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.

learn more