A “special event” is defined as “an outdoor gathering of at least 100 individuals whether on public or private property, assembled with a common purpose for a period of one hour or longer but may not exceed twelve hours in duration; except, that events held during the two-day Taco Daze community celebration shall be considered one event. Special Events include, but are not limited to concerts, theatrical productions, public dances, fairs, carnivals, circuses, parades, flea markets, auctions, marathons, walkathons, festivals, races, bicycle events, celebrations, or any other gathering or events of similar nature. Special Events do not include events that are not open to the public and held on private property such as graduation parties or social parties.”
A permit for each event must be approved by the City Council. The Council may set conditions as necessary to protect the health, safety and welfare of the community and of event participants. The Council may deny permits based on specified criteria or any issues in the public interest. Permit holders must indemnify the city and provide insurance if the event is conducted on public property.
The number of special event permits issued for a single location is limited to no more than four “amplified events” (an event using electronically amplified music and/or voices) in one calendar year. There is no limit on the number of non-amplified events.
Some events are exempt from the permitting requirement:
- Special events sponsored and managed by the city;
- Funerals and funeral processions;
- Events on the grounds of any school, community center, museum, place of worship, conference center, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium or similar place of assembly when used for regularly established assembly purposes.
- Events for which the City has issued a Park User Permit as provided by city ordinance.
- Auctions ending before 8:00 p.m.
There is a $25.00 permit fee. Permits must be applied for at least 30 days prior to the event, using a form that will be provided by the city.
Click Here for the Special Event Application Packet