Welcome to spring in Scandia. The bright sun warms us even on those days when the temperatures are not quite there yet. As you read through this newsletter, I hope you will see the momentum growing both in taking care of City essentials and in building its sense of community.
- The City’s new plan for road improvements is a most significant achievement. Check out what’s planned on the Scandia website.
- Initiatives by both the City and Friends of Scandia’s Parks and Trails will lead toward further beautification of the Village Center.
- The City is vigorously pursuing avenues for speeding up the long-planned Gateway Trail extension from William O’Brien State Park into the Village Center.
- Efforts are underway to reestablish Scandia’s tourist potential to draw businesses that will be appealing to local residents and increase visitors to support them.
- And our Comprehensive Plan is nearing completion. Review its drafts online, send in comments, and plan to attend the Planning Commission public hearing May 1st.
Take the opportunity this spring and summer to get involved in Scandia in ways that are new for you. Visit me the first Wednesday of any month during Conversations with the Mayor and share your ideas or concerns. Enjoy one of the cultural jewels of Scandia by attending Gammelgarden events. Come for good local food, crafts and music at the Farmers Market every Wednesday afternoon during the summer starting June 6th. Involve your children or grandchildren in one of the many activities offered by Scandia PRC – including a new Drama Camp! - detailed in this newsletter. Look for ways to volunteer. And, why don’t you consider nominating one of your Good Neighbors for recognition?
Enjoy the seasons ahead.Christine MaefskyMayor